Sunday 17 May 2015

AX3003: Editing a Showreel

 Recently I put together a showreel, with the aim of demonstrating my best animation work in the space of one minute. I knew in advance which clips I wanted to see in the showreel - especially my most recent work which, in my opinion, is far superior to what I was capable of a few years ago. The showreel includes footage from my graduation film 'Gopher Golf', my first and second year films 'Catch of the Day' and 'Cheese Please', additional university and personal projects such as 'Quench' and 'The Time I Like Best', my A2 media studies piece 'Intoxicated' and the short film I directed on work experience in China, 'Travelling by Food'. I especially felt it was important to include the latter on my showreel, as it was the first time I had directed a team of animators on a project.

A clip I animated for 'Travelling by Food', showing the words "let's go!", opens the showreel. I did this to hopefully gain the viewer's interest straight away. Clips from 'Gopher Golf' immediately follow this and also close the showreel, because I feel that this film specifically shows my best work.

Choosing a suitable piece of music was slightly more difficult, because it had to match the energetic tone I wanted to give my showreel. It also had to be close to one minute in duration. I was unable to find a composer, so I managed to find a royalty free piece of music online which, in my opinion, suits the fast-paced, energetic, exciting feel I wanted to give my showreel. I particularly enjoyed editing clips in time with the music, such as the final clip, which helped decide which clips should be placed where. The clips all blend in, such as water in 'Gopher Golf' fading into water in 'Catch of the Day' and, as a result, I feel the showreel has a better narrative and almost feels like a short film in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment