Friday 22 May 2015

DD3992: Looking Back on my Final Film

Yesterday, after several months of hard work, I finally completed all work on my film 'Gopher Golf', along with my latest show-reel, CV, action plan, poster and official still shot for the film.

There's no doubt that my final film is a lot different from how I first imagined it would look. Over the course of the last eight months, the narrative of the film has become a lot stronger. I am strongly against being able to predict how films will end, so I was pleased with my audience feedback because a mystery had been set up in the film - "we know the Gopher's going to get his revenge, but how?", as one comment from the feedback asks. The film is stronger as a comedy as well, and the final version generated more laughs than the original pitch for the film back in September.

I'm also pleased that the film's visual style is a lot stronger than in many of my earlier works. A lot more time and effort went into trying to make the film look better - I'm still happy today with the narrative and animation in my second year film, although time constraints and various issues meant I couldn't put as much effort into the sets and pre-production as I would've liked.

However, I've felt unsure many times whether the narrative and visual style would work together or not. The narrative has become a lot more focused on surreal comedy and slapstick, much like classic Disney or Looney Tunes cartoons from the "Golden Age of American Animation". Therefore, I've wondered many times if the film would work better if it was entirely 2D, not a mixed media - 2D, or traditional animation, is a lot more suited to surreal humour than either stop-motion or CGI, in my opinion. I only started to feel more comfortable about the film being a mixed media after the positive feedback it received. I have learnt a lot about different directors who have their own styles, so I became quite relaxed after feeling like I have achieved my own look. After seeing the final film all together, I feel very pleased with the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment