Tuesday 14 April 2015

Gopher Golf: Editing the Lighting

After reviewing all the footage filmed so far for Gopher Golf, there were a few problems which I had to sort out before filming could continue. Firstly, the blue screen was not flat enough and the lighting was not strong enough for the blue to become one solid colour. The blue screen still had a number of creases in it, which had to be ironed and then pulled taut to both sides of a frame.



The blue screen was moved right against the wall, as was the table I am animating on. The set lights were also moved closer to the set and the wall, improving the lighting greatly. It also gave me more space for any work I needed to do behind the camera, such as reviewing the film on the screen.




The other issue was that, after reviewing all the footage, a black smudge was in the middle of the screen. It was directly on the lens and I didn't have the correct materials to wipe the lens clean. Therefore it was agreed I could switch to using my own camera, a brand new Canon 70D which is more up-to-date and offers higher quality than the Nikon D300.


Keylight, a useful feature in Adobe After Effects, was used to delete the blue background from the raw footage, although the levels of black and white lighting had to be adjusted because the blue background was not a block colour. The outline also had to be erased. I have very rarely used After Effects before this year, so I had to look at online tutorials to help with certain features, although the software was fairly easy to use. It saved hours of time as I was about to try removing the black smudge frame by frame.

I was pleased with the results after I had doctored the footage in After Effects, although hopefully the consistency of the lighting will no longer be an issue. If I do have any more problems in filming, I'm satisfied that I have a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment